While many in the Dedham community are looking ahead to what lies in store for 2014, a Dedham police officer was recently recognized for his efforts and contributions in 2013.
Det. Robert Walsh, who has been with the department for 18 years, was named Officer of the Year by Dedham Police Chief Michael d'Entremont, according to a letter sent on Jan. 17.
"Det. Walsh […] is a very knowledgable, hard working and dedicated officer," d'Entremont wrote in an email to Dedham Patch. "He has a true passion for the Department, the community and public safety. He represents himself and the department In a positive manner. He is recognized within and outside the Department as a resource for others."
For his part, Walsh related most of the efforts to working with a solid group of coworkers within the department.
"I was very surprised," Walsh told Dedham Patch of hearing of the recognition. "As a detective, I am afforded a some unique opportunities, and meet a lot of different people, but the people I work with, it's an awesome group, a tight group. Usually there's a whole lot of people involved in many ways and you can't discount any of them. I'm just happy that I have the folks to work with that I have to work with."
Nominations for Officer of the Year are solicited from Department supervisors, d'Entremont said, with several nominations being made this year.
"What we are looking for is an officer that possesses certain qualities," he said. "An officer that does more than is asked of him or her. An officer who is self motivated and dedicated. An officer who is consistent."
In 2013, Walsh received 11 letters of commendation relating to his work, according to the announcement, relating mostly to significant criminal matters in the community.
"The cases, they roll in and you're up, and you just take it as it comes," Walsh said. "You try to keep your head down and keep working and hopefully good things come your way."
Walsh was recognized for the following efforts, d'Entremont wrote:
- Ongoing efforts in working with a large retail establishment in the community
- The arrest of two individuals for receiving stolen property
- Contributions to an investigation related to a series of tire thefts
- Collaborative efforts related to an interstate drug investigation
- The investigation of a suspicious vehicle leading to two arrests for motor vehicle violations of a subsequent charge for receiving stolen property
- The recover of an expensive bicycle which had been stolen
- The safe arrest of an individual on warrants who is known to flee recklessly when encountered
- The investigation into and subsequent arrests of two individuals related to prostitution
- Response to an incident where a vehicle was struck by gunfire
- Contributions to an investigation involving two bank robberies in Dedham and one in another community
- The investigation into a vicious assault resulting in the arrest of the aggressor