took about 20 minutes to gain control of a bedroom fire that extended to the attic at 271 East St. about 7 a.m. Wednesday morning. According to Deputy Chief Bill Spillane, all occupants of the two-family duplex were out of the house upon fire department's arrival.
Three residents in 271 East St. made it out unassisted, and two residents were transported to Brigham and Women's Hospital for smoke inhalation, but no one suffered external burn injuries. Their side of the duplex is not inhabitable due to heavy water and smoke damage, Spillane said in a phone interview Wednesday afternoon.
One cat died in the fire.
Initial findings of a town and state investigation report that the fire was started by "careless disposal of smoking materials" in a cluttered second floor bedroom, which exacerbated the blaze, Spillane said.
The home's second-floor smoke alarm was not operable, and residents delayed notification of the fire department, Spillane said.
Four residents of 269 East St., the other unit in the duplex, made it out safely as well. That residence sustained no water or smoke damage, and the family is not displaced, according to Spillane.
One Dedham firefighter suffered a minor hand injury.
Firefighters from Boston, Westwood and Needham covered Dedham stations on mutual aid during the fire.