Looking for a way to show your appreciation for the approximately 3,500 animal shelters across the United States that serve an estimated 6-8 million homeless animals?
The has suggestions as to how you can help on a very local level:
- Adopt a pet. You can view a list of all the League’s available dogs here, all available cats here and other animals here.
- Promote pet adoption. Even if you can’t adopt a pet yourself, you may know someone who could. For many or people living alone, owning a pet has helped lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels, reduce cardiovascular disease, reduce feelings of stress and loneliness, all the while increasing a sense of responsibility and alertness, activity during the day and fun. The League has a special “Seniors for Seniors” reduced-fee adoption program for people over age 60 looking to adopt animals over 1-year-old.
- Volunteer. Our four-footed friends always need an extra pair of hands!
- Gifts in kind. A great way to help animals is by donating goods to our shelters. We’re in constant need of clean towels, dish and laundry detergent (High Efficiency variety for front-loading machines) and Clorox bleach, as well as high-quality cat and dog toys. The Dedham, Boston and Brewster shelters also appreciate donations of office supplies such as copy paper, pens, binders, paper clips, file folders, etc. Check our "Wish List" for more.
- Donate. This year there has been an unprecedented demand for the Animal Rescue League of Boston’s services. The League receives no federal, state or municipal funding and is supported entirely by donations. Your tax-deductible gift will help to ensure that animals in distress receive the care they need, as well as a chance to be adopted into a caring home.
The Animal Rescue League of Boston is a non-profit organization dedicated to rescuing domesticated animals and wildlife from suffering, cruelty, abandonment, and neglect. Since 1899 we have advocated the philosophy of our founder, Anna Harris Smith, that "Kindness Uplifts the World." To learn more about our activities, please visit our website.