Todays Weather: Today you can expect a chance of showers, mainly after 11am. Cloudy, with a high near 77. South wind 11 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible. Tonight there will also be a chance of showers along with thunderstorms, mainly before 2am. Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 56. Southwest wind 8 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms, according to The National Weather Service.
1. Come to Miss Sarah's Storytime & Craft at the Endicott Branch Library, 257 Mount Vernon Street in Dedham. Make your own apple stamped wreath, listen to harvest stories and have a snack. Ages 3-8 years old. No registration required. Note: you may want to bring a smock or protective covering or wear old clothes as paint is involved. The event starts at 10:30 a.m.
2. Join the Needy Knitters at Sheep Skate Yarn & Craft, 549 High Street in Dedham. This is a great time to come in and get the hand holding you need. It's a drop in so you can come only when you need help or every week. Just $10 to join the class.
3. All are welcome to attend a free screening of an award-winning documentary at the Dedham Community Theatre, 580 High Street, Dedham Square, Sunday morning, Sept. 30, at 10 a.m. Four years in-the-making and shot on location in the Amazon rainforest, the mountains of Mexico, North America, and at a private meeting with the Dalai Lama in India, For the Next 7 Generations follows what happens when thirteen indigenous grandmothers from all over the world unite.
Originating from all four corners, these wise elders, shamans and medicine women first came together in 2004 at an historic gathering in upstate New York. Moved by their concern for a world in crisis, they share with us their visions of healing and a call for change. This film documents their unparalleled journey and timely perspectives on a timeless wisdom.
A reception with remarks by the film’s director and producer Carole Hart will be
held immediately after the screening at The Blue Bunny Bookstore, across the street from the theatre at 577 High Street. Both the film and reception are free, and are co-sponsored by the Reynolds Center for Teaching Learning and Creativity, The Blue Bunny Bookstore, and the Dedham Community Theatre.
4. Lovelane Special Needs Horse Riding Program is preparing for their biannual event, the Hoedown 5, taking place on September 29 in Dedham. Hoedown is a bit of a different fundraising event – it takes place on a Farm in Dedham, owned by Joanne & Jim Halpin.
This year’s theme is Get Your Kicks on Route 66 and musical entertainment will be provided by the Tedeschi Trucks Band and the James Montgomery Band. Guests are encouraged to dress casually – which means most people will be decked out in their best jeans and boots.
5. The Town of Dedham’s Sustainability Advisory Committee is working in conjunction with the Friends of Dedham Recreation and the Friends of the Dedham Pool to bring a green component to the 24th Annual Dedham Day festivities at Barnes Memorial Field.
Dedham Day attracts thousands of visitors who are drawn to the annual cow flap, live music, kids games and great food. This year the Sustainability Advisory Committee will be featuring environmentally friendly vendors highlighting cutting edge technology in the environmental field, as well as fun, kid friendly crafts.