Current Dedham Vacancies: Conservation Commission, COA and DRAB

A roundup of information regarding recent vacancies on Dedham boards and committees, and deadlines for applications.

Traditions of Dedham. Patch File Photo.
Traditions of Dedham. Patch File Photo.

Residents in Dedham looking to serve on a board or a committee now have the chance to do so. 

The Dedham Conservation Commission, Council on Aging and Design Review Advisory Board currently have vacancies to be filled. 

Deadlines for the Conservation Commission and DRAB are approaching; applications for those vacancies must be submitted by end of day on Wednesday, Jan. 15. Applications for the Council on Aging Vacancy must be submitted by close of business on Jan. 20. See below for information on each board and vacancy. 

Applications can be sent to the Board of Selectmen's office at Dedham Town Hall or sent to: 

Dedham Board of Selectmen
26 Bryant St.
Dedham, MA 02026

For questions, please contact Dedham Assistant Town Administrator Nancy Baker at nbaker@dedham-ma.gov. 

The following details on the vacancies were provided by Dedham Town Hall:

Conservation Commission

The Conservation Office and Board Members are responsible for protecting the wetlands, related water resources and adjoining land areas in the Town of Dedham, including but not limited to the following: public or private water supply, groundwater, flood control, erosion and sedimentation control, storm damage prevention, water pollution prevention, fisheries, shellfish, vernal pools, wildlife habitat, recreation, aesthetics, agriculture and aquaculture values (collectively, "the resource areas protected by the Town of Dedham General Wetland Protection Bylaw").

Jurisdiction applies to all above resource areas and lands within 100 feet of any of these resource areas, and within 200 feet of any river, stream or bank. The Commission's jurisdiction also extends to any illegal dumping on public property or roadways within any of the above named resource areas.

Generally, Conservation Commission Public Hearings are held on the first and third Thursdays of each month, beginning at 7 p.m. at the Dedham Town Hall.

For more information, contact Administrative Assistant Lisa LeBlanc at 781-751-9210.


The Design Review Advisory Board (DRAB) shall develop, with assistance and input from local civic organizations and interested citizens, design guidelines for areas of town having different visual and functional character. Administrative and logistic support for DRAB shall be provided by the Planning Board, but the Board may also seek support and advice from the Historical Society and other entities and individuals concerned about Dedham’s visual character. 

The Board shall meet at the call of the Chair to review and made recommendations for building projects as defined below. 

The Board shall review and advise on all new constriction, additions to exterior alterations of existing buildings, and all new signage or alterations of existing signs in the Central Business (CB), General Business (GB), Highway Business (HB), Local Business (LB), Limited Manufacturing (LMA), Limited Manufacturing Type B (LMB) and Research Development and Office (RDO) districts; as well as all projects subject to parking plan approval, site plan review or Major Nonresidential Projects or requiring a special permit or variance from the Board of Appeals, if located in RDO, PC, PR or LM districts.

For more information, contact Town Planner Richard McCarthy 781-751-9240.


Except as may otherwise be provided by charter, by by-law or by vote of town meeting, the Council on Aging shall have the powers and duties conferred upon Councils on Aging by state statute and shall be responsible to the Town Administrator for coordinating or carrying out programs designated to meet concerns of the aging in coordination with programs of the Council on Aging as established under General Laws, Chapter 6, Section 73.

The Council on Aging shall, with the approval of the Town Administrator, establish policy and overall operating guidelines.

The council shall be comprised of the Chairman of the Recreation Commission; the Chairman of the Board of Health; the Superintendent of schools, or their respective representatives; and not less than four (4) nor more than either (8) additional members who much be residents of the Town. 

For more information, contact COA Director Laura Leventhal at 781-326-1650.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something