Home ownership is one of the single biggest investments we will make in our lifetime. That is why proper home maintenance is so important. Regular home maintenance enhances the properties economic age (the number of years a house is expected to survive), ensures safety, prevents simple upkeep from turning into costly repairs and may even reduce energy consumption. Having a well maintained home provides piece of mind and increases resale value. To support our fellow homeowners in achieving this objective, Greenwood Real Properties/Keller Williams Realty has put together a monthly checklist, home improvement and inspection routine for you to follow. ENJOY!!
- Always be sure to change/clean your Furnace/AC filter monthly during peak season heating/cooling. Not sure how to change the filter? CLICK HERE!
- Review emergency procedures and practice fire drill escape routes.
- Reverse direction of ceiling fans. Since hot air rises, you want your fans turned clockwise to push the air down.
- Plug air leaks in siding or foundation with spray foam insulation
- Install heat tape or pipe insulation around pipes near northern exposure
- Insulate crawlspace walls
- Bleed radiators. Not sure how? CLICK HERE!
- Inspect exterior lights and outlets
- Mark driveway with stakes for snow
- Tune up snow shovel and snow-blower
How important is preventative maintenance? Without it, your home could easily lose 10% to 12% of its appraised value. Researchers suggest that regular maintenance increases the value of a house by about 1% a year. However, professional appraisers are quick to point out any gain is typically offset by the ongoing cost of maintenance. According to the U.S. Census, over time annual maintenance can cost upwards to $3,300 or 1% to 3% of a home’s initial cost dependant on its geographic location. To put this in perspective; owners of a $200,000 house should plan to budget $2,000 to $6,000 per year for ongoing maintenance and upkeep depending on the age of the home.
Not sure what your home is worth in today’s marketplace? We would be glad to provide you with a FREE home valuation for estate planning purposes or just for your own edification. Would you like to be added to our mailing list to receive a copy of our complimentary monthly Newsletter? Let us know. Complete the enclosed Contact Us Form and we’ll take it from there!!
**We offer discounts to Senior Citizens and Veterans**
Brian Greenwood is an Owner/Partner at Greenwood Real Properties/Keller Williams Realty w/Offices in Canton, Needham and Westwood
At Greenwood Real Properties our goal is straightforward: to exceed your expectations and earn your business for life