Zucchini Fritters: Healthy Veggie Perfection!
With your next zucchini or summer squash purchase, consider this easy, simple and healthy recipe everyone is sure to devour.
The versatile zucchini. Stuff it, chop it, saute it or shred it and add it to a batter to make one delicious bread with it. I'm always looking for a new and fun way to cook with veggies. A few weeks ago this recipe caught my eye. Zucchini is cut in fun coin-sized shaped and then dipped in an egg and buttermilk mixture. Next, simply toss the zucchini in a bread crumb and cheese coating with the added kick of some taco seasoning. Baking them on a coated cookie sheet instead of frying them pumps up the healthy factor.
Not only would this recipe work great as a side dish, but it would be a fun, fresh and unique appetizer to serve. So, next time you're planning a meal, skip the usual sides of rice or potatoes and give these delicious zucchini fritters a try, or offer to bring this fun appetizer to the next party you attend instead of the chips and dip (someone's probably already bringing that!).
Source: Taste of Home
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup fat-free ranch salad dressing
- 1/4 cup salsa
- In a shallow bowl, combine buttermilk and egg substitute. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, taco seasoning and garlic salt. Dip zucchini in buttermilk mixture, then bread crumb mixture.
- Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, ranch dressing and salsa. Serve with zucchini. Yield: 10 servings (3/4 cup sauce).
Nutritional Facts 1/3 cup zucchini with about 1 tablespoon sauce equals 67 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 296 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.