Letter to the Editor: Chief Thanks Supporters of National Night Out
The three-day event was a hit, police chief says.
On behalf of the Dedham Police Department, I would like to sincerely thank all the individuals, organizations and businesses who coordinated and participated in Dedham’s first "National Night Out" celebration.
Three days of events were organized from July 31 - Aug. 2. The key organizers included representatives from four civic groups: Dedham Square Circle, Manor Neighborhood Association, Mother Brook Community Group, and the Oakdale Square Alliance.
Each group aims to bring people together to improve the quality of life and economic prosperity in their neighborhood, and the town of Dedham. "National Night Out" provided an opportunity for the entire community to unite to raise awareness about public safety, and crime and drug abuse prevention.
The following events took place throughout town:
- A spirited softball game was played with community members contending against members of the Police Department.
- Several hundred citizens visited the police station to tour the building, explore cruisers, and view equipment.
- Loyal supporters raised funds for civic groups through a “jail and bail” event.
- An informative panel discussion took place regarding prescription drug abuse.
- A costume parade was held in Oakdale Square with children dressed as their favorite crime fighter.
- An illuminated group of crime watchers strolled the streets of the Manor neighborhood.
- Movie night at Condon Park featuring Scooby Doo (rain date to be decided).
The Police Department looks forward to building on the success of these events, and continued partnerships with all members of our community.
Our successful "National Night Out" events were made possible because of the help provided by and charitable contributions made from the following groups and individuals:
Dedham Square Circle, Manor Neighborhood Association, Mother Brook Community Group, Oakdale Square Alliance, All Seasons Rent-All of Norwood, Dedham Parks and Recreation, Dedham Community House Summer Camp, Wardle’s Pharmacy, Metropolitan Law Enforcement Council, Dedham Historical Society, Dedham TV, Endicott Estate, Riverdale PTO, Dominos Pizza, Norfolk County Sheriff’s Office, Terry’s Market, Tedeschi Food Shops, Norfolk County House of Corrections, Custom Art Framing in Norwood, the Dedham Board of Selectmen, William Keegan, Chris Ryan, Stephanie Radner, Charlie Krueger, Dan Hart, Rita and Lloyd Cushman, Dorothy Victoria, Amy Haelson, Jim Maher, Bob Stanley, Josh Walther, John Fitzhenry, Fran O’Brien, Retired Chief Mike Weir, Paul McMurtry, Jim MacDonald, Leanne Jasset, Vicky Kruckeberg, Virginia McLaughlin, Patti Belotti, Sheriff Mike Bellotti, NCSO Brian Bersani, NCSO Dave Munchbach, John Galvin, Dedham police officers, detectives, dispatchers and civilian personnel, Zach Berry, Janet Mattozzi, Lisa Ingemi, Paul Reynolds, Mary Jean Nadaff Von Schoppe, Eileen Kelly, Russ Stamm, Dianne and Brad Bauer, Ziad Greige, Joe Pagliucia, and Martha and Paul Zeolla.
Many thanks to all,
Chief of Police