Five Things You Need to Know: June 8
Karate, movie night, weekly walks and talks and a request to report for Patch.
Today's Weather: Same as yesterday. There's a 40 percent chance of showers, although warmer, with highs of 76 cooling off to 55 at night according to the National Weather Service.
1. "The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants." -Gichin Funakoshi (1868 - 1957, Father of Modern Karate). Boot Camp: Karate for Beginners is taking place today at 5:30 p.m. at the Dedham Community House on 671 High Street. Contact the house to sign-up. All ages seven to senior. Tai Chi is also being offered.
2. The Dedham Health and Athletic Department on 200 Providence Highway will showing a Disney movie tonight starting at 6 p.m. as part of their Family Movie Night.
3. Another week, another Frank Arren Weekly Walks starting in nearby Needham at 8:30 a.m. and Lunchtime Networking Group at noon. Both gatherings meet at the Congregational Church on 1154 Great Plain Avenue.
4. There were some huge events in Dedham in the past few days: Legacy Under the Stars, St. Mary's BBQ, the 5K, and this weekend, high school graduation is coming up. With all this happening Patch wants to reach out to its community to ask for people to contribute to our online newspaper. If you attended or will be attending an upcoming Patch event and would like to supply either a written or photo/video account of your experiences, Patch would love to post your sentiments. If you are interested in blogging for Patch, contact Regional Editor Liz Taurasi for more information at email@example.com.
5. Today in History: It was today almost 1,400 years ago today in 632 that the Islamic prophet Muhammad died.