Dedham Police Give Tips on Safety in a Parking Lot
After an elderly man was physically assaulted in a parking lot, Dedham Police are sharing tips regarding safety.
On Wednesday afternoon, an elderly man was robbed and assaulted at the BJ's parking lot on Providence Highway.
"The victim had just finished placing his purchases in his vehicle, a white 2002 Oldsmobile, when a black male entered the vehicle and assaulted him," Dedham Police said in a statement. "The suspect exited the vehicle and fled in an unknown direction."
The Dedham Police Department is asking anyone who has information on this incident to contact the Detective Bureau at 781 751-9300.
Because of this incident Dedham Police would like to share the following tips in regard to safety in a parking lot:
1) Park your vehicle in a well-lit section of the parking lot.
2) Avoid parking in secluded or isolated areas of the lot.
3) Be aware of your surroundings both when you enter and exit the store.
4) Do not leave valuables in your motor vehicle in plain sight.
5) Avoid parking near structures which could act as a hiding place. Ex dumpster.
6) If something makes you feel uncomfortable or nervous call the police or bring it to the attention of store personnel or security.
7) Upon returning to your vehicle scan the inside to make sure no one is in your vehicle.
8) Once in your vehicle lock the doors immediately and start your vehicle and exit the lot.